Welcome to Houlik Family Dentistry, your Wichita dentist! We believe that dental hygiene is vital for many reasons. It helps to prevent tooth decay, gum disease, and bad breath. It also helps to reduce the risk of other serious health problems, such as heart disease and stroke.
We are a family-oriented dental practice that provides preventative care. In this blog post, we offer tips for at-home oral hygiene. With these tips and our preventive care services, you can avoid future problems with your teeth and gums.
Dental Hygiene Tips & Advice From Family Dentists Dr. Joseph Houlik and Dr. Lily A. Wakim
We often get asked what the best dental hygiene tips are for keeping teeth healthy and white. While there are many tips and tricks out there, we typically recommend the following four standard things to patients:
- Brush Twice A Day
- Floss Every Day
- Use Mouthwash Regularly
- See Your Dentist For Regular Checkups
1. Brush Twice A Day
The first and most crucial step in taking care of your teeth is to brush them twice a day. Brushing helps remove plaque and bacteria from your teeth, which can lead to cavities, gum disease, and other oral health problems. Be sure to use a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste, and brush gently in circular motions for two minutes at a time.
2. Floss Every Day
In addition to brushing, you should also be sure to floss your teeth every day. Flossing helps remove plaque and bacteria from between your teeth, where your toothbrush can’t reach. Be sure to use gentle, back-and-forth motions when flossing so that you don’t damage your gums.
3. Use Mouthwash Regularly
Mouthwash is a great way to supplement your brushing and flossing routine by helping to remove plaque and bacteria from your mouth. Be sure to choose a mouthwash that contains fluoride, and use it according to the directions on the bottle.
4. See Your Wichita Dentist For Regular Checkups
Finally, be sure to see your dentist for regular checkups and cleanings. These appointments are essential for catching any problems early on and keeping your teeth healthy long-term. During these appointments, your dentist will also professionally clean your teeth, which helps remove any hardened plaque that has built up on your teeth over time.
Some Additional Preventative Dental Hygiene Tips
In addition to the tips above, there are a few other things you can do to help keep your teeth healthy. For instance, you should:
- Avoid smoking or using tobacco products, as they can lead to a variety of oral health problems, including gum disease and tooth decay.
- Eat a healthy diet that is low in sugar and high in fiber.
- Drink plenty of water to keep your mouth hydrated.
- Use a straw when drinking sugary beverages to help avoid contact with your teeth.
- Wear a mouthguard when playing sports or engaging in other activities that could lead to injury.
- Use a tongue scraper to remove plaque and bacteria from your tongue.
- Choose a good toothbrush with soft bristles and replace it often.
- Chew sugar-free gum after eating to help rinse away buildup in your teeth.
By following these tips, you can help keep your teeth healthy and avoid problems down the road. If you have any questions about dental hygiene or would like to schedule an appointment, please contact us today. We’re always happy to help!
As we have seen, there are many things that people can do to maintain their oral health and prevent cavities. Following these dental hygiene tips and advice is a great way to start. Taking care of your teeth and gums is not only good for your oral health, but it can also improve your overall health and well-being.